Saturday 19 November 2016

Hal's stiry fry sauce - updated and vegan

Today I took Sylvia to gymnastics, met a friend for a drink, sauntered down to our local bookstore where I was tempted, and made gingerbread men.  Dinner was far down my list of priorities.  I fell back on a favourite stirfry sauce.  The vegies looked so colourful and I wanted to note my changes so here it is in Vegan Mofo for Rainbow Week.

I was pleased with my effort because I didn't manage to get to the supermarket.  E often tells me I have lots of food but nothing to eat.  So I try to be creative with what is about rather than just buying what is in my head.

I don't know who Hal is but I have been making Hal's stirfry sauce for many years.  It comes from The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.  This was my go to cookbook for many years and has so much good how-to advice.  I still think of her advice about what order to add vegetables in stirfries according to how long they take to cook.

Tonight I substituted maple syrup for honey. It meant that the tamari was a bit too prominent so I have reduced the amount in the below recipe by a tablespoon.  I also used ground ginger and sriracha because that is what I had.  I haven't had fresh ginger in the house for months.  Now it is warmer weather, I probably should buy some, but it is good to know I can get by without if it is not about.

If you are short on time and have lots of vegies and some rice or noodles, I highly recommend Hal's stirfry sauce.  It is tasty and easy.  The vegies I used were brown onion, celery, purple cabbage, carrot, green capsicum, green beans, snow peas and kale.  I often use tofu with this sauce but as there was none, I added in some cashews.  Now if you will excuse me, I am off to read my bookclub novel, Girl on the Train.

More stirfries on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Lo mein (v)
Matthews delicious tofu (gf, v)
Pad see ew with tofu omelette (gf, v)
Tamarind tempeh with noodles (v)
'Teriyaki' tofu with brown rice and kale (gf, v) 

Hal's Stirfry Sauce
Slightly adapted from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest via Green Gourmet Giraffe
serves 4

1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp sriracha
1 Tbsp cornflour

Mix all ingredients together except the cornflour. Spoon cornflour into a separate small bowl (or measuring cup in my case) and dissolve with a few spoonfuls of the sauce. Stir cornflour into the sauce. Add sauce to stirfry a few minutes before the end. It should thicken slightly once brought to the boil so it coats the vegetables, noodles or whatever you choose to add.

On the Stereo:
Va Va Voom: Hummingbirds

This post is part of the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo) in November 2016.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2016 Vegan MoFo posts. 

Week 3's theme is Rainbow Food

6 comments:

  1. 'Sauntering' not a word I hear often or use either, so now I have read it, I will make an effort to make it part of my work vocabulary :) Thanks Johanna. This stir fry does look utterly delicious. Have a good session at the Bookclub,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - oh you really need to do some sauntering - it is a favourite word of mine - which i guess shows that often I like to walk slowly and rubberneck about the shops. Bookclub not for a few weeks but always like to read the book when I can

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard of the The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest Cookbook before today, but I love the name. The colours of all the veggies there just shouts healthy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - the Enchanted Broccoli Forrest was one of my first cookbook loves - highly recommend it - great recipes but also really nicely done in an old fashioned hippie sort of way

      Delete
  3. This stir fry looks great. Stir fry is my go to for quick and easy meals so I will have to try Hal's sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - used to do lots of stirfries and then hardly any and now they are back in favour in my kitchen

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)