Wednesday 16 November 2016

Smoky apple vegie burgers

When I was a child, the only burgers we bought were from the fish and chip shop.  There was no MacDonalds and none of the ubiquitous fancy burgers that abound in cafes.  We only had one type - beef patty, lettuce, tomato, cheese, beetroot, fried onion, tomato sauce and perhaps pineapple or egg.  These days anything goes in a burger - and I mean both in the patty and in between the burger buns.  It means lots of fun and lots of tyranny of choice.  It also means a way out for the stewed apple in the fridge that is being neglected.

I put the stewed apple into these burgers and while it did not taste strongly of apple, I was happy that the apple had been consumed.  I had grand plans for burgers in a bun with a salad on the side on that first night but it ended up being a bowl of burgers and vegies.  The burgers had a satisfying texture and held together well.


The second night the burgers were eaten in a bun with all the bells and whistles, and a simple salad on the side.  I hadn't been happy with the colour of the burgers on the first night and fried them up for my home made burger buns the second night.  Fried to the good side of charred.  Perfect for my fancy burger in a bun.  As well as the patties, I also stuffed it with lettuce, biocheese, beetroot, roast pumpkin, fried onion, vegannaise and lettuce from my garden.  It tasted so good.

More vegan burgers (patties) on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Cauliflower burgers (gf v)
Earth burgers (gf, v)
Roasted beetroot tofu burgers (gf, v)
Sweet potato, chickpea and hemp seed burgers (v)
Tamale burgers with mole sauce (gf, v)
Vegemite burger (v)
Watercourse Foods tempeh burger (gf,v)

Smoky Apple Vegie Burgers
Adapted from It Does Taste Like Chicken
3 tbsp ground linseed (flax seed)
1/3 cup of aqua faba (chickpea brine)
400g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup stewed apples or apple sauce
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup chopped red or white onion (about ½ a small onion)
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp seeded mustard
Seasoning to taste

Soak linseeds in aqua faba for 5 minutes or while preparing other ingredients.  Add kidney beans and stewed apples and mash into the linseed mixture.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Shape handfuls into patties.  Place on grill tray (broiler tray) and spray with oil.  Grill until well browned on one side.  Flip, spray with oil and grill until golden brown on the other side too.

On the Stereo:
Discography: Pet Shop Boys

This post is part of the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo) in November 2016.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my 2016 Vegan MoFo posts. 

Week 3's theme is Rainbow Food

15 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks like a well-stuffed bun! I actually love my burgers completely plain, just the patty and the bread bun. I love to really taste the flavour of the patty - though this only really works with good flavoursome burgers, and yours definitely sounds like one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HH - I really love lots of interesting vegie add-ins for burgers - I am a bit all or nothing - either lots of vegies or no vegies or burger buns at all

      Delete
  2. These look really good Johanna! I do really enjoy veggie burgers, sometimes over beef burgers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - vegie burgers are all so different but the good ones are really creative and flavoursome

      Delete
  3. These sounds like my type of burger! I too remember those glorious fish and chip burgers. They were such a (ginormous sized!) treat growing up. Your patties look so gourmet. Very resourceful to use up the apple in a delicious way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - my dad was the only one in my family I remember having the fish and chip shop burgers - they were probably too much vegies for us kids - but they were always impressive.

      Delete
  4. Yummo - I would never have thought of adding apple to burgers but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I was trying to think what I could use the apple in that wasn't dessert or baking - which was challenging but I got there!

      Delete
  5. Funnily enough, I can barely remember eating burgers in childhood. I recall a few rare McDonald's birthday parties (not mine) where I was always dismayed by the pickle but that's about it. Consequently my burger associations are largely adult and vegetarian and this looks like a delicious version to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I remember my parents first tasting McDonalds and being so disgusted that it was probably quite a while before we ever went near the place again - my main childhood burger memories were actually the ones at BBQs that were sandwiched between two slices of bread with sauce

      Delete
  6. my kind of burger! I love the smoky apple combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - it was pretty good though better for being well cooked and not as appley as I had expected but I think there was the underlying sweetness that works well with smoked paprika

      Delete
  7. Pineapple or egg? Ours were boring. Just lettuce, onion & tomato (maybe cheese). My family really liked eating at McDonald's so we would get them there sometimes. But my dad would actually make his own from scratch. I hear they were good, but I never liked hamburgers so I never had any. These however sound really good and totally up my alley =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would the liquid from the tinned beans work as aquafaba? Though i could just make hummus while the burgers chill.. curious is all! These are on my to do list as soon as i am home from russia. Which has been a veg struggle :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte - I generally use chickpea aquafaba but the brine from other beans also works. Hope you enjoy these.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)