Friday 12 May 2017

Home made cheese tortilla chips (vegan)


Wow it has been a bit of a roller coaster of a couple of weeks that has seen my work email account hacked, Sylvia having her school photo with sticky tape holding together her broken glasses frames and  sticky taped together, and me forgetting to bring Sylvia's swimming stuff to her lesson*.  Thank goodness for little victories like finding time for a catch up with friends, getting on top of the school paperwork, camellias blossoming in the backyard.  And fun with home made cheesy tortilla chips.

I had half a packet of tortillas in the bread bin (yes we are using our bread bin again after years of filling it with paper bags).  Despite good intentions I was never getting around to make tacos.  So on a rainy afternoon I made corn chips.  For fun.

E and Sylvia and her friend who was visiting were not impressed.  They were quite tasty and mostly quite crisp but occasionally slightly chewy in the middle.  I really liked them.  And if not for these cute little corn chips, the tortillas probably would have been thrown out.  I call it a little victory.

*PS for the curious among you, we got Sylvia's glasses frames replaced under warranty, my work email had blocks on it for a day and then IT fixed it, and Sylvia missed her swimming lesson this week but given that she did 3 days of NAPLAN tests and a cross country run, it probably wasn't the worst week to go without her swim.

More easy snack ideas on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Cheeseymite puffs
Coconut bacon (gf, v)
Pikelets
Seed crackers (gf, v) 
Tamari chickpeas (gf, v) 
Zucchini pizza bites (gf)

Home made cheese tortilla chips
Adapted from Fork and Beans and The Kitchn
Serves 2-4

Seasoning mix:
4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1/2 tsp fine sea salt

6 corn tortillas
olive oil (1-2 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 180 C.  Make seasoning mix first by mixing all ingredients in a blender until a fine powder.  Set aside.  Stack tortillas and cut into 6 -8 wedges.  Place on a lined tray.  Brush with olive oil (or spray the oil) then sprinkle with seasoning mix.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges curl up very slightly and slightly darker in colour.  Cool and snack.

NOTES: Leftover seasoning can be kept in an airtight container for baking, stews and vegan cheese sauces.  I cooked my chips for about 14 minutes and put the oven at 200 C because my oven is so slow.  I could not be bothered blending seasoning to make it finely ground so I just used a hand held blender in a small mixing bowl.

On the stereo:
Rough Guide to Gypsy Music: Various Artists

5 comments:

  1. These sound lovely, I like recycling tortilla wraps like this too, did you see my Jalapeno version a while back - I will have to try the nutritional yeast version and the other flavourings that i adore. So funny you mention using your bread bin after many years, mine has just broken after many years of use
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/homemade-green-chilli-doritos-chips-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for using up tortillas. I have a few wholewheat ones that I was wondering what to do with - problem solved. Wow, how awful to have your work email hacked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these sound great! And an excellent use for otherwise wasted tortillas. I'm sorry to hear about the work email, glasses woes and swimming kit absence but agree it was probably a good week to miss swimming - I suspect Sylvia was glad of the rest after her test and running exertions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that there was a happy ending to the various horrors of the week - I always like to hear when things go right. The tortilla chips definitely look like they went right too - the flavourings are just my sort of thing. Homemade tortilla chips are always more interesting than the readymade versions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)