Monday 8 May 2017

Vegan fluffy pancakes

Are pancakes becoming old hat?  After all, they have lots of competition these days with fancy waffles and crumpets and the like.  We went out for brunch on the weekend to The Boot Factory which has recently taken the pancakes off the menu.  Sylvia was most displeased.  I should have just made her a batch at home.  It isn't that hard.

This recipe for vegan pancakes is one I stumbled across and really wanted to try.  They looked fluffy and used common ingredients.  I made them a week ago because I had stewed plums and fancied them on some pancakes.  We always enjoy sitting around the kitchen table on a weekend morning with maple syrup, lemon and sugar at the ready, waiting for the pancakes to be flipped onto our plates.

One of the biggest challenges with vegan pancakes is to the get the right fluffy texture.  These were not quite as fluffy as eggy pancakes but pretty damn close.  I think these would make good large pancakes but I can't help reverting to the way my mum made them small so that nobody had to wait too long for their pancake.  But unlike in my childhood, I am very fond of maple syrup on pancakes, even when serving them with plums.

More vegan breakfasts at Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Banana oat pancakes (v)
Chocolate muesli (granola) (v)
French toast with banana (v)  
"Nutella" stuffed pancakes (v)
Potato scones (v)
Spinach, sundried tomato and chive chickpea scramble (gf, v)
Tofu besan omelette (gf, v)
Tofu scramble (gf, v)

Vegan fluffy pancakes
Adapted from The Pretty Bee

1 1/2 cups plain flour - I used half and half white and wholemeal
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups soy milk
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons rice bran oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
margarine, for frying

Mix all ingredients (except margarine) to make a thick batter.  Let sit 5 minutes.  Meanwhile heat frypan over medium heat.  Rub a little knob of margarine to cover the pan.  Drop heaped dessertspoons of batter on the pan.  It takes quite a while (5 minutes or so) until bubbles appear.  It should be golden brown.  Flip over and cook another few minutes until browned on the other side too.

On the stereo:
Magnifique - the Icons of French Music: Various Artists

12 comments:

  1. I am quite keen on experimenting with pancake barter (mostly from the scratch, then & there and other dangerous decisions) but fluffiness is usually not what I go for ... just novelty and keeping them whole through the whole turning process suffice :-). So I am going to give this recipe a try soon :-)

    I hope I don't presume too much if I ask you a short off-topic question: you wrote last year you liked 2 of your Edinburgh accomodations - would you care to share the addresses or simply the names so I can check them up online? (my husband and I dream about a 15th wedding anniversary in Edinburgh ... and I would like us to enjoy our accomodation). If you don't have time for that, I will understand :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alcessa - I love trying different pancakes too. And I am happy to share the accommodation we used - I wrote about the Kildonan Lodge - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/edinburgh-accommodation-kildonan-lodge.html and the other is 3/5 Nether Liberton Court which is self catering and really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looks good.
      Yes, we'd prefer self catering, too, so that my husband can make his lovely porridge to start us :-)

      Delete
  3. Interesting recipe! So you don't really need eggs in it? They do look nice and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pancakes - waffles etc don't compete. These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look incredibly fluffy! I would certainly order them if I spotted them out and about. And I much prefer pancakes to waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always struggling with the fluffiness of vegan pancakes too. Yours look so good. I'm going to have to try these as soon as I get a nice relaxing weekend morning so I can enjoy them - hopefully that's soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so pleased that you share these vegan fluffy pancakes as I do like them and am pleased with you say they are pretty close to the egg versions, I will try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pancakes will never be old hat, particularly if they're in the sort of beautiful stack where you don't know whether to eat them or climb them. And the plums too - what a colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made these now, using Nutellex instead of the oil-- they were great and I'd say it's now my number one recipe. The 'perfect pancakes' recipe from Vegan Brunch was my go-to recipe but that's now slipped to second place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pancakes will never be old hat! Especially when they are as perfect and fluffy as these! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely not old hat. Especially when you add sumptuously stewed plums! Sadly, I find making vegan, gluten-free pancakes a pain in the arse, so they rarely get made around my kitchen. Maybe this will inspire me to try again ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)