Friday 27 October 2017

Jaspresso, North Melbourne

Jaspresso is an unassuming cafe that looks like just another office building opposite Bio21 Institute on Flemington Road between the Royal Women's Hospital and Royal Children's Hospital.  It is much more.  The light spacious interior, the friendly staff, the prompt service, fine presentation and good simple Japanese rice bowls makes it a place to return to.  In fact I went there for lunch and enjoyed it so much that I returned the next day with a work colleague.

On my first visit, I ordered the Tofu Curry Don.  The crispy crumbed tofu is the star, but is nicely accompanied by broccoli, edamame and pickled vegies as well as a generous serve of curry sauce and rice.  I was so full after almost getting through a bowlful.  There was no room for the baked goodies at the counter that looked quite nice.  The second time I ordered Teriyaki Tofu Don.  It had the same excellent crumbed tofu, lots of rice and sauce but it was topped with lots of salad leaves and pickles.

I found the teriyaki don lighter but I preferred the curry don because I am not so into salad leaves and I liked the curry sauce better.  The staff also told us they can do a tofu version of the sesame don.  My friend was very impressed with my discovery.  As we left, we both agreed we would definitely go back.

Jaspresso
91 Flemington Road, North Melbourne
7.30am-7.30pm
https://www.facebook.com/jaspresso.melbourne/

Jaspresso Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

4 comments:

  1. How fantastic if this is near your work. There is something about a light bright interior that makes food taste nicer, and this clearly blends decor with a good menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I'm often around there. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great lunch stop. It looks like a thoroughly tasty and filling bowl. Was it vegan or veggie? There's not enough vegan versions out there for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey - I asked Jaspresso about if their vegetarian dishes were also vegan - they said the curry sauce has cream but I think the rest is vegan from what they said.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)